Cleaning is one of the most annoying parts of any renovation project. Any repair you perform, whether it is renovating the kitchen, changing the wallpaper in your bedroom, or replacing the bathroom tiles, will leave your home dirty afterwards. It is almost impossible to prevent post-construction cleaning, even with meticulous paper coverings and careful work. However, you won't have to panic! If you have the right cleaning products and follow the correct steps you can quickly and easily get rid of all the dirt, dust and large debris left behind after renovation.
In this article, we will focus on cleaning tiles after construction work. Our goal here is to provide you with some simple cleaning tips and tricks that will ease your job. The methods work whether you want to clean the tiles in the bathroom, on the kitchen floor, or on the kitchen backsplash. Additionally, we'll give you some tips on how to eliminate leftover grout after installing tiles. Hopefully, this information will help you find the best way to clean your home after remodeling.
Where to start to clean from after a renovation?
As a first step, collect all larger waste in trash bags and dispose of it. In case you did a major renovation to your home, you should begin cleaning room by room to avoid missing anything at the end. Make sure you get rid of all leftover tiles, materials and waste items. Don’t forget to collect large debris from the bathroom as well. Also, when you are cleaning, be sure to open the windows to allow the rooms to breathe. When you've completed this task, you can start removing the thick layer of dust from the floor. Brooms are great for doing this. Then it is time to start the essential part of the cleaning.
When cleaning a room you should start from the ceiling and work your way down. It is important to clean every nook and cranny including the lights, windows, doors, furniture, kitchen cabinets (both inside and outside) and the floor. If you prefer you can start with the bathroom or leave it for the end. However, it might be a better idea to clean it last, since you will anyway need to wash some things in the bathroom while cleaning the rest of the house, so it will most likely get dirty again. It's a waste of time and effort to do twice the work, right?
After you have cleaned all the spaces in your home properly, vacuum the floor and mop it.
How to clean tiles in the bathroom after renovation?
You can clean the bathroom tiles using chemical solutions and a damp cloth or by using a steam cleaner. The two methods can also be combined to make your bathroom shine.
Whether it's installing new tiles, replacing pipes, or building a new plumbing system, any construction work leaves dirt and spots on tiles. It might be tricky to clean them because after the repair work they may be covered with dust and construction particles such as glue, silicone, cement, and other adhesive materials. This is why it is necessary to be patient when cleaning the bathroom.
What should you do to restore the shiny appearance of the tiled surfaces? You should first use a microfiber cloth to wipe the tiles in order to properly clean construction dust. After you are done with that step, you can move on to wet cleaning. Use only warm water and clean all tiles thoroughly. Do that again, but add special cleaning detergent. You can choose to use ready-to-use cleaners, which are usually available in every store that carries cleaning supplies, or you can create your own homemade cleaner using some pantry items.
It may be difficult to clean some types of tiles, such as ceramics and glass tiles, with only a damp cloth and detergent, so you may want to try steam cleaning instead. The steam cleaner is a powerful device that can really ease the cleaning process. In the market, you can purchase a variety of machines, including those that are specifically designed to clean bathroom tiles. Alternatively, you may opt to rent a steam cleaner.
How to clean tiles in the kitchen after refurbishment?
Kitchen wall tiles can be cleaned with a clean cloth, warm water, and a high-quality tile cleaner. It's similar to how you would clean your bathroom tiles. You should first wipe all the tiles with a cloth to remove dust and other particles from the surface. Afterwards, go over the tiles again, but this time using warm water and cleaning detergent, which again could be purchased from a store or DIY. Repeat this procedure as many times as necessary until all dust and stains have been removed.
If your kitchen splashback is quite dirty and there are some smudges on the tiles, you may need to scrub the entire surface first with a sponge soaked in soapy water and then wipe the tiles with a cloth. You can finally dry the tiles with paper towels. Using this technique, you will ensure a glossy professional finish.
If there are oil stains on your kitchen tiles, it is best that you use a special oil stain remover cleaner. Ensure you carefully follow the instructions on the product's label to get the best results.
How to clean the floor properly after renovation?
It is best to clean the floor last. After disposing of large wastes from the floor, brush the floor carefully to ensure there are not any building particles left behind. Then, use a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment to eliminate construction dust. Try to suck up as much dust as you can. Once it is done, you can begin wiping the floor with a damp cloth. Use only warm water to begin, then implement a cleaning product appropriate for the type of flooring you have. Hardwood floors and ceramic tile floors may be cleaned with a homemade solution - just mix half a cup of white vinegar in one gallon of water. To achieve a shiny finish on the floor, you may need to wipe it several times. Remember to also clean the skirting boards. Allow the floor to completely dry before putting any furniture or carpet on it.
How to remove grout haze from tiles?
If you want to eliminate grout mar from your bathroom or kitchen tiles, you could do so with the help of a commercial grout haze remover or by making your own cleaning solution. You can choose whichever method you prefer based on your individual preferences and the type of tiles to clean.
How to choose the right commercial product?
- For epoxy-based grouts, go for a product designed to tackle their stubborn grout haze. You may benefit from using a commercial product, even if your grout was not epoxy-based, to eliminate grout haze that won't go away.
- For slate or stone tiles, you should use a product specifically designed for those surfaces. Do not use acidic cleaners as they can be harmful to these types of tiles.
- Make sure you always read and follow the instructions of the product.
- Note: If you will be using a chemical cleaning product, we highly recommend wearing a mask and gloves.
Which homemade DIY cleaners work best to remove grout haze from tiles?
- Ceramic and porcelain tiles are best cleaned with vinegar. Combine 1 part vinegar with 4 parts water in a bucket or large spray bottle. You can clean your tiles with a soft nylon pad or mop if you are cleaning the floor. After you have cleaned all areas, rinse them with pure water. Please note: you should use this DIY cleaning solution only if your tiles are porcelain or ceramic. It is not appropriate for other surfaces such as porous stone or slate tiles as the acidity of the vinegar can damage them.
- For ceramic tiles, use baking soda. Combine baking soda with water and stir until a smooth paste is formed. Apply the mixture to the marks and scrub them away with a cloth. When you’ve finished, make sure to thoroughly rinse off any residues on the tiles. Natural stone tiles and slabs should not be treated with baking soda.
How to clean fine construction dust after full house renovation?
Here are some helpful hints on how to clean construction dust.
- Clean walls by wiping them with a damp towel. If the walls have been painted recently, wait until they have completely dried before cleaning them.
- Remove each furniture cushion frame and use a vacuum cleaner to remove all the dust. If you notice residue, vacuum it two or three times.
- You should thoroughly clean your hard surfaces from top to bottom, starting with your walls.
- You should dust off all mouldings and cabinets, clean the inside of cabinets, and pay special attention to hard-to-reach corners.
- Remove all fine dust from countertops and other flat surfaces
- Lastly, sweep and mop all your hard floors to get rid of any visible dust.
- After renovations, make sure you clean the air vents and replace the filters. Remove the vent covers and clean them thoroughly with soap and warm water. Let them dry completely.
- Last but not least, clean any other furniture or items exposed to renovation. Often, even the smallest items are contaminated with debris.
Contractors can keep your home clean during a remodel
Hiring home renovation contractors has a lot of benefits. They will not only make sure that the building job is done properly but also will keep your home clean during the renovation process. professional contractors will cover vents, lay cardboard on the floors and take care of large debris left. Clean-up varies depending on the company you choose, some of them clean up as they work, while others do it at the end of the project. Whatever the case, hiring experts will definitely make the post-construction cleaning easier for you.
Frequently asked questions
When to remove grout haze?
If any haze is present, it should be removed once the tile surface is completely dry. Consult your installation professional for a recommended drying time. In most cases, you will need to wait about 24 hours.
What happens if you wait too long to wipe grout?
Tile grout should be removed no more than 10 days after installation, otherwise, it can harden and cause damage. In addition, the tiles and the place where they have been installed can look unattractive.
How to clean grout haze off marble tile?
First, try to wash the grout haze away with clean water. Wet the tile surfaces with a sponge and let them soak for a few minutes. Afterwards, scrub gently the areas that are hazed and wash them with water. If the technique did not provide desired results, then use a chemical grout cleaner that is formulated for marble tiles. Lastly, use a soft towel to dry tile surfaces.
How do you remove cement from tiles?
Try removing a bit of cement from the tiles with a scraper first. You can then use an appropriate cleaner to soften the cement. Select a cleaning product based on the type of tile. Vinegar and baking soda also work well, but they may not be appropriate for all kinds of surfaces. Finally, scrub the cement again with a damp sponge or brush, and then rinse the tiles with clean water.
How do professionals clean grout?
In most cases, professionals use grout steam cleaning and special cleaning solutions to remove grout haze from tiles. The experts know what cleaning product to apply depending on what type of tile it is.
Is bleach bad for grout?
Cleaning products that contain bleach can cause grout erosion over time, which is damaging to tile surfaces. The residue left behind by such cleaners also tends to attract dirt, leading to an even dirtier grout.