It is no exaggeration to say that the kitchen is the hub of our homes. In truth, our everyday lives revolve around this room. This is not only a place where we prepare food but also where we spend time with our family, gather our friends to socialize, drink our morning coffee or relax with a glass of wine in the evenings. The kitchen is a connecting area for your home that brings your loved ones together. Therefore, this room should be fully equipped, functional and of course cosy and comfortable.
In this article, we are going to take you through the renovations of this special room in your home - the kitchen. We are going to describe the whole process starting from the very beginning all the way to the very end. Before you start the work, however, you need to have an exact idea of what you want to achieve. This is why we've written this guide on how to revamp your kitchen cheaply. If you've got the ideas set, feel free to read on!
Make a plan
If you are looking to do a kitchen makeover for the first time you are probably very excited but also overwhelmed. Creating an action plan is very important and should be the first step of your kitchen renovation project. Having a clear purpose, vision and goal will definitely save you a lot of time, headaches and money. It will help you move forward in a well-organized way and follow the budgets and timelines that were agreed upon.
The questions that you may want to ask yourself when you are planning kitchen renovation are:
- What is your goal?
- Would you like to refresh your current kitchen or completely renovate it?
- How much are you willing to spend?
- How much time do you plan to spend on the renovation?
- What kitchen appliances do you use?
- How you are going to use the space? Do you use the kitchen for other activities besides cooking?
- What is your plan for the layout of your kitchen?
- Do you want to implement certain styles or colours in your kitchen?
Taking time for planning pays off. The more precisely you can describe your needs and wants, the easier it will be to have kitchen designers and contractors follow exactly what you desire.
Determine your remodelling budget
You need to know exactly how much you have to spend because this will determine your scope of work. The average cost of kitchen renovation in the UK is around £8000 - £10000. However, it is possible to refresh the look of your kitchen for less than £5000.
If you have a low budget (only a few hundred pounds) then you can probably only make some small adjustments to make your kitchen space look more pleasing. In this case, you can think about painting the cabinet doors with a fresh coat of paint or renewing the hardware. You may also consider changing 1 or 2 appliances, install new light fixtures or maybe adding some new open shelves.
If you have a mid-range budget, say £3000 - £5000, then you have more options to choose from. You can consider refacing the cabinets and give your kitchen a whole new look. Another upgrade that can fit a mid-range budget and at the same time make a big difference is to replace the countertops. You can think about incorporating a kitchen island. It will not only add more counter space but also totally change the look of your kitchen.
If you can spend more than £10000 for the budget, then you can tackle a major kitchen remodel. You can replace the cabinets, countertop, appliances and even change the layout of the room. We also have a guide that will give you some nice ideas on what to do if you want to renovate your kitchen on a budget.
You may be interested in reading our remodelling vs renovation post.
Think about the layout of the kitchen
Planning the layout is one of the most important parts of your kitchen remodelling project. There are some key points that you need to consider here - the kitchen ergonomics and the kitchen layout type. So what does kitchen ergonomics mean? It is the science of designing the space in a way that fit your needs. It is based on a rule called the work triangle which states that you should have enough space between the three most used areas in the kitchen. These are a storage area, a washing area and a cooking area. You should be able to move quickly and efficiently between the refrigerator, the stove and the sink. There should be no obstacles and the distance between the three most used places should be optimal. There is a lot of information on the Internet about the specific principles of the kitchen work triangle so we won’t go into details here.
In terms of the kitchen layout types you may choose between different models :
- One-wall kitchen. This option is suitable for homes or flats with smaller square footage or in case you want to keep new kitchen cost to a lower end. The one wall kitchen does not take up too much space so that you could place the dining room next to it. The biggest disadvantage of this layout type is that the storage space is limited.
- Galley kitchen. It is a floor plan where all kitchen components are positioned on two opposite walls. This method of furnishing is one of the most effective in terms of household activities, so it is among the most common in professional restaurants. The galley kitchen provides immediate access to any appliance, sink or countertop.
- L-shaped kitchen. It is a really convenient type as it enables to build a kitchen and dining room in the same room. If you want you can implement a kitchen island that can be used as an extra countertop or place to eat.
- U-shaped kitchen. This layout requires a more spacious area but allows for a smoothly functional workflow. In addition, a U-shaped layout is a great way to implement more storage and counter space in your kitchen. However, this type of kitchen may significantly increase the material and labour costs.
Here are just the basic kitchen layout types. You can always be more creative and go for something unique.
Browse some kitchen style ideas
Consider what style of kitchen you want to have. Do you want a traditional, contemporary or maybe modern kitchen design? Choose something that really suits you and also match the rest of your home style.
Some of the most popular kitchen styles for 2021 are modern style, traditional style and farmhouse style.
Modern style kitchen usually has a big multifunctional island, flat panel cabinet doors, hidden door handles and built-in appliances. Laminate flooring is also a popular choice for modern style kitchens.
Traditional kitchens are more enclosed and smaller and they usually have raised panel cabinets. Decorations and ornaments are also commonly found in traditional kitchens
Farmhouse kitchens are very popular nowadays. They tend to use a lot of natural finishings like wood countertops. Their big signature is the farmhouse sink and open shelving.
To find the style that mostly joined you can start by browsing images on Pinterest or Instagram.
Choose your kitchen cabinets
Kitchen cabinets are a really important part of your kitchen and choosing the right ones is something you really need to think about. Your goal should always be to arrange the cabinets so as to make the most use of your kitchen size and floor plan. When you are choosing cabinets the first thing you need to decide is whether you go for pre-manufactured cabinets or custom cabinets.
Pre-manufactured cabinets can significantly cut new kitchen cost. However, they have many disadvantages compared to custom made pieces. First of all, they are not durable and you will probably have to replace them after 7 or 10 years. In addition, it is difficult to refinish them. Second, prefabricated cabinets offer very limited design and colour choices. Third, you will hardly optimize the space with pre-manufactured kitchen cabinets. Though, they might be a good option if you are on a tight budget.
If you want to go more of a high-end look where you can customize it to every need it is much better to opt for custom made cabinets. Custom kitchen prices tend to be higher but definitely worth the investment. What makes them such a great choice is that you get to design every aspect of your kitchen. Custom made kitchen enables you to maximize the space – you can add dividers, spice racks, pullout shelves and everything you want. You may add as many cabinets and drawers as you want. With a custom made kitchen you can choose from many different styles, colours and materials. You can mix and match different hues and finishes, you can have built-in appliances or accent cabinets. With custom cabinets, you will have the opportunity to create your dream kitchen and it will be unique.
Look for quality kitchen worktops
High-quality countertops are something worth investing in. The kitchen countertop should be resistant to heat, water, scratches, stains and other damages. Moreover, you need to pick worktops that match the rest of the kitchen.
There are different types of kitchen countertops to choose from. Here are some of the most popular options.
- Marble. It is among the most beautiful countertops and is often seen in high-end kitchens. Its advantages are that it really looks and feels luxurious, it is heat-resistant and durable. However, a marble worktop might be not the best choice for a busy family kitchen, because it is vulnerable to staining and scratching.
- Quartz. Quartz has become an increasingly popular choice over recent years. This type of countertop is not only beautiful but also extremely resistant to staining and scratching. On the other hand, it tends to be less resistant to heat and more expensive.
- Granite. This countertop has been popular for many years as it is luxurious, stylish and beautiful. Granite worktops are water-resistant, heat-resistant and durable. However, their price is higher.
- Solid wood. It is commonly used in traditional and modern kitchen designs. It is not too expensive and makes the room feel warm and cosy. Some of the downsides of the solid wood countertop are that it is not resistant to stains and scratches.
As we said, there are a lot of types and there are more options coming out every year. Check several kitchen suppliers to find the right countertop that suits your needs and taste.
Bring in kitchen renovation specialists
In order to have a functional and comfortable kitchen, it is essential to trust professionals to design and create your dream kitchen.
Experts in professional kitchen remodelling primarily fall into two categories - a kitchen designer and a general contractor.
The kitchen designer is the one who will make your kitchen remodeling project. The designer can help you create a space that is functional and efficient. They will also advise you on how you can optimize your kitchen renovation costs. They intend to fully understand your needs and wants. Following that, they turn those goals into a functional, attractive, and effective kitchen project.
The kitchen designer's plans are built and installed by the general contractor. It is a team of renovators and kitchen fitters who make the renovation process smoother and easier. They help you in every step of the way - from planning, plumbing and wiring to installing cabinets, worktops and appliances. They also know what planning permission you may need and how to get it, which is highly important. For DYI enthusiast, read our guide on how to fit a kitchen in a few easy steps.
It best to research and connect with kitchen companies and fitters in your area. Look up pros near you, research their previous work, look up any reviews they may have and check their labour costs.
Are you looking for a kitchen renovation company in Surrey?
If you are looking for professional kitchen renovators in Surrey, do not hesitate to contact us. We offer many different services: planning, plumbing and wiring, walls and ceilings, flooring, installing the kitchen units and appliances. We service the county of Surrey including Coulsdon, Chipstead, Croydon, Purley, Wallington, Sutton, Banstead, Epsom, Mitcham, Streatham, Morden, Kenley and Cheam.